The PinSound Studio software is not mandatory to install or configure your PinSound board.
The PinSound Studio software is a complete tool:
- pre-load your USB flash drive with your favorite sound package
- enjoy the PinSound audio engine with Visual Pinball
- boost your creativity and help you design your new sound package
Have a look of a quick overview of the complete framework here.
- Sound package manager: easily preload a sound package on your USB flash drive
- Visual Pinball sound engine: play your favorites virtual tables with the PinSound audio quality
- Replay recorded games in .psrec files
- Create and preview your own sound package
- Listen to each different sound
- Motion Control settings: shaker strength and duration, relay output, LED colors)
- Adjust individual volume of individual sound or sound type
- Sound ROM emulation (not yet supported)
- Compatible with Windows
- Download and uncompress the software
- Visual Pinball: configure your game with “altsound : 2” to play with the PinSound Studio as the main sound engine
Warning, Windows doesn’t handle path longer than 260 char (sub-folder and filename included). Placing the PinSound Studio folder at the root of a drive is recommended (eg “C:\”)
The PinSound board and Visual Pinball are able to “record” sound events sent from the CPU (from a real machine or emulated game).
The result of this record is a file with the extension *.psrec (as PinSound RECords)
With this file, you can replay a complete game in the PinSound Studio. Thus, you can easily fine tune your own sound package.
They are two ways to generate this psrec file:
- Visual Pinball: game settings to “altsound : 3”
- PinSound board: unzip & copy the file ‘config.ini‘ on the root of the flash drive
After the game, a replay-XXXX.psrec file is stored in “playback” folder (of either the USB flash drive for the board or the VisualPinball folder)
Simply copy the psrec file to the “playback” folder of PinSound Studio among the other record and start the software.
Select the psrec file in the “Pinball” list, the Audio mix you would like to render and press “Reload”
You are now ready to replay the audio part of the just played game.
This allows you to preview, work or sort audio mix of either your creation or from the community!
Visual Pinball is now compatible with PinSound Studio. Enjoy the PinSound audio engine with your favorite virtual tables!
Furthermore, you will be able to record “.psrec” files during games. This “.psrec” file is simply a recording of sounds instructions that you can replay in the PinSound Studio to improve your own sound package creation.
Right click to the DMD, “game settings”:
- PinSound Studio audio engine: “Altsound : 2”
- PinSound Studio audio engine + PSRec recording: “Altsound: 3”
Visual Pinball and PinSound audio engine
- start the PinSound Studio software (run as administrator)
- in the Visual Pinball tab, check that you have affected a ROM name to your sound package
- check the connectivity with Visual Pinball status
- launch your Visual Pinball table
Visual Pinball sound instructions recording
- Start a table from Visual Pinball (run as administrator)
- A “PinSound” folder will be automatically created in the VPinball.exe folder.
- Once the game ended, copy the “XYZ.psrec” file in the “playback/” folder of the PinSound Studio software.